Monday, October 6, 2008

Boredom...

Why Boredom? Because I am so good at it. Because I have spent so much time practicing it.
Because boredom is the ITdonkey's constant companion.
This post could have been up earlier, but for my boredom. If I wasnt so bored , I would have even put an exact definition to it.
Is it the feeling when countless hours are spent listlessly tapping away on the work computer ? When trips to the water cooler are frequently called for just to break the monotony ? Or when staring at the road from the terrace seems like an excellent idea of a break ? When mulling over mundane things seems infinitely more interesting (like, How did they come up with these location numbers for the rooms? Did they count from the top floor downwards and from left to right? How big a comb the frizzy haired girl must be using ? )
The most exciting part of the workday is the ride to and fro ? Or the strange sense of elation felt when the count of major bumps encountered on the road matched yesterdays ?

I reached this stage of boredom, about 2 months after I started working as in ITDonkey. Earlier on though, the feeling was smothered by the overwhelming volume of work and the pressure of it which i let myself feel.
But......as i said above, practice is the key, and now boredom and busy-ness learned to live with each other. These days, they even co exist in harmony. Each acknowledges the other's presence, and does not try to overwhelm the other.

IF anyone else out there can put a precise definition to it, do let me know.

My boredom starts as soon as I power up my tools of the trade :



PS : Please ignore the pink biscuits I was having for breakfast on a boring Saturday morning.

14 comments:

prat said...

i notice tht ur water bottle is full.........never keep it full...always fill 1/4th of it...cos tht will mean more trips to the water cooler and hence more opportunity to shift the focus of boredom

ITDonkey said...

Who says I drink from the bottle only ?
I also fully utilize the glasses kept at the cooler itself.

prat said...

also drink lotsa lotsa water...u knw wat happens after tht....yet another avenue to break away from the monotony

Siddharth said...

wow u actually have those pink biscuits !! when and why did you change your red helmet ??

some suggestions to waste some time:
send any attachment in *.rar format... most of the testers, managers and biz analysts dont know how to open them... you will get a mail saying that they cant open it.. tell them to try again as it opens on your pc.. if you receive another mail saying they cant open it even then.. offer to go their place and help them open it..

Did this all the time.. trust me works all the time and helps you spend 5 mins.. ;)

P.S the time which the recipient wastes also doesnt help the company in any way..

ITDonkey said...

The red helmet (which had considerably yellowed) had started stinking inside out. So changed it. This one is not used much, so its okay for the moment.
In my small team, we ourselves are the testers, managers, biz analysts and few times, the coders.
But its a good suggestion though, I will send mails to myself and then make a big fuss of not being able to open them.

prat said...

pink biscuits...shit...wat else is in ur bag...moisturiser?

ITDonkey said...

I dont carry them in my bag maaaaan...
Those were the only things available in the cafeteria that day.

Siddharth said...

not true.. i have heard from you that you have them everyday..

unfortunately your chats are off record...

ITDonkey said...

They are still left over in my drawer. Cant bring myself to finish them, and cant be caught eating them in public.

Rasika said...

:D I dont believe those were the 'only' biscuits available that day. Also any different intention of yours to attract attention to the color of the biscuits?(wouldnt have noticed otherwise)
You actually have a red helmet?? :D What you thought of color coordinating it with the bike or what ... like you tend to coordinate other things...

Siddharth said...

it was not supposed to color coordinate with a bike but a ... let him do the honors..

ITDonkey said...

Any colour match which occurs is purely coincidental and bears no resemblance to any other object/person ,living or otherwise. :)

Rasika said...

LIAR...:D

ITDonkey said...

Not a liar :) .

The fact that there was only one helmet available which was red in colour has got nothing to do with the fact that the colour of my Scooty was red as well.